I write about food and wine, so it would be expected that my social media has pictures of both, right? And because we’re total cheese whores around here, there’s lot of photos of wine and cheese. Oh and oysters! After that, believe it or not, I take and post a lot of pictures of wine and sushi.
Even on National Wine and Cheese Day there’s pictures of sushi with wine!
Because I’m not that into sake (yet– change my mind, please!), and because I love tea, I’d always order a pot of tea to go with my sushi.
Then we went to sushi to celebrate my birthday one year and I ordered sparkling wine.
Lo and behold! I liked it!
But I still mostly drank tea because the wine selection at most of the sushi places we go to is just not that great.
And then something happened: I discovered that most Wednesdays Sprouts has sushi for $5. And Sue and I usually do wine on Tuesdays. Which means I usually have leftover wine to experiment with the sushi — and photograph too.
In these experiments, I have found I love sushi
- with sparkling wine from Prosecco to Champagne to Cava— even with one from Moldova!
- with rose from various grapes and countries — still and sparkling– like these from Oregon!
- with chardonnay both oaked and unoaked like this one from Sonoma’s Notre Vue or from Napa’s Groth
- with lots of Italian grapes including Lugana — see tweets below
- with orange wines
- even with a red wine like Grenache!
The key to pairing sushi and wine: temper the soy sauce and the wasabi — too much overwhelms the wine.
Check out “Sonoma Visit and Interview with Alex Holman, winemaker for Balverne and Notre Vue plus 4 wines with seafood, sushi”
Rich salmon and avocado as well as the spicy tuna roll in the sushi matched so well with the 2019 Notre Vue Chardonnay Musque.
And check out
#RoséAllMay? #RoséAllDay! Three Rosé from Oregon with sushi, salad, seafood skewers for #AirportRules
For more ideas about pairings with Asian food beyond sushi, check these posts out from the #WinePW crew:
- An Affordable and Aromatic Gewürztraminer Paired with Thai Red Curry by Robin at Crushed Grape Chronicles
- Asian Appetizers Paired With Tozai Sake by Wendy Klik at A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Cashew Chicken With A Crisp Riesling by Terri at Our Good Life
- Ground Pork Stir Fry with Collard Greens by David Crowley at Cooking Chat
- Knocking off CPK While Sipping SMV Riesling by Lori Budd at Exploring the Wine Glass
- Japanese Sake and Octopus Salad by Susannah Gold at Avvinare
- Our Osechi Ryori おせち料理 (Japanese New Year’s Food), Other New Year’s Eve Traditions, + Recent Saké Explorations by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Rosé with Taiwanese Beef Noodle Soup by Andrea at The Quirky
- Steak and Saké Night at the Culinary Cabin by Nicole at Somm’s Table
- Sushi and Wine? Totally Fine! Here’s a Few to Try in 2021 by Gwendolyn Alley at Wine Predator
- Tio Pepe Fino Sherry and Sushi/Sashimi: A Match Made in Heaven! by Martin Redmond at ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
For more sushi and wine inspiration, here’s a few of my posts from Instagram.