What’s a synonym for Argentine Wine? Malbec!
While yesterday was Malbec World Day, the entire month of April is #MalbecMonth, so you still have plenty of time to enjoy a Malbec from Argentina.
Why April? Malbec from Argentina is celebrated on April 17 because that is the day in 1853 when Argentina’s wine industry transformed by the invitation of French soil expert Michel Aimé Pouget who showed how to adapt French varietals, including Malbec, to Argentina. Malbec World Day was created by Wines of Argentina “to position Argentine Malbec as one of the most prominent in the world. Every April 17th, and throughout the whole month, different activities are carried out in the main cities around the globe to celebrate the success of our flagship grape.”
Five fun facts about MALBEC in Argentina:
- 37.53% of the red wine grapes planted in Argentina are Malbec
- 21.40% of the total cultivated area in the country is Malbec.
- 163% increase in plantings of Malbec since 2000 (equivalent to 26,653 ha / 65,862 acres)
- 85% of Argentinean Malbec is grown in Mendoza
- leader in volume, quality and exports of Malbec since 2011.
Argentina really is THE place in the world that’s dedicated to Malbec. And, as we show below and here, there is a Malbec from Argentina for every palate, budget, and event!