Instead of England’s early Sunday dinner, a postchurch ordeal of heavy meats and savory pies, why not a new meal, served around noon, that starts with tea or coffee, marmalade and other breakfast fixtures before moving along to the heavier fare?
By eliminating the need to get up early on Sunday, brunch would make life brighter for Saturday-night carousers. It would promote human happiness in other ways as well.
“Brunch is cheerful, sociable and inciting.” Beringer wrote. “It is talk-compelling. It puts you in a good temper, it makes you satisfied with yourself and your fellow beings, it sweeps away the worries and cobwebs of the week.”— William Grimes, “At Brunch, The More Bizarre The Better” New York Times, 1998 (from Wikipedia’s Brunch entry)
Whether you stay up late carousing or you’re trying to figure out what to do for Mother’s Day, let’s do brunch this month for Wine Pairing Weekend!
What are some of your favorite food and wine pairings for brunch? Do you go out for brunch or do you stay home? Do you have a large formal gathering?
Or do people just seem to smell the bacon and show up?
When the call came to suggest prompts for this year’s Wine Pairing Weekend posts, Sue and I knew we wanted to host BRUNCH! Sue is that person in her crew who gets up early on Sunday morning to get the coffee brewing and the bacon sizzling so that as her large extended family and friends wake and wander over, the smells of both as well as fresh baked pastries wake them up and get them going.
Because brunch can mean so many different types of foods and experiences, it’s wide open for many different beverage choices from wine to sparkling wine to wine cocktails and other drinks that help the carousers face the day.
Please join #WinePW this month for BRUNCH! Here’s how:
- Open a bottle of your favorite wine for brunch or try a new one! Make mimosas or cocktails!
- Tell us all about your brunch food and drinks on social media and tag #winepw.
- Let me know by Weds. morning May 10 if you will be publishing a blog post and give me your title so I can include you in a preview post (ideally, let me know in the comments, or email me gwendolynalley AT yahoo DOT com, tag me on twitter @artpredator, or post in the #WinePW Facebook group).
- Publish your blog post Saturday May 13, preferably by 8am PST and give me the link (via one of the methods above).
- Include links to everyone who is participating in your blog post ASAP and visit their blogs, comment, and share!
- All are welcome to join us for a twitter chat from 8-9am PST Sat. May 13 on the topic of “Let’s Do Brunch!” Remember to search for and use the hashtag #WinePW and “LetsDoBrunch” so we can see and respond to your posts!
PS Yes, Sue and I are hosting #WinePW “Let’s Do Brunch” Sat. May 13 AND we’re hosting “Sparkling Wines of Italy” Sat. May 6! Stay tuned and please subscribe to keep up with all the fun here at Wine Predator!